Professional title (M/F): professional specialist engineer of information technology.
Abbreviation: spec. ing. techn. inf.
Total ECTS credits: 300 (180+120) ECTS
Type of study: full-time and part-time study
Study duration: two (2) years, i.e. four (4) semesters
Number of places: 30 full-time and 30 part-time attendants
The study programme is primarily intended for persons whose work is related to software engineering and information systems in a wider sense, as well as for persons who satisfy the general and special conditions for enrollment in this study programme and plan to work in design, development and maintenance of information systems.
The study programme “Information Systems” is based on the specialist knowledge and experience that guarantees success in construction, optimisation, exploitation and maintenance of information systems in a wide range of applications as well basic knowledge of information systems design and development. Therefore, this study programme is intended for persons who are, or will be in charge of implementing, maintaining and exploiting information systems, and participating in design and production of information systems.
The specialist study programme “Information Systems” is a continuation of the first cycle of higher education. The candidates need to have an adequate background in order to successfully acquire knowledge and skills covered by the curriculum and to graduate within the proper time frame.:
- from advanced mathematics (matrix calculus, numerical solving of mathematical problems, and the fundamentals of probability and statistics);
- from computing (digital computer architecture, operating systems, computer networks, basics of programming, algorithms and data structures, databases, fundamentals of information security and basics of design and development of information systems and applications),
and acquired skills, such as:
- advanced computer use, office and graphic applications;
- excellent use of the Internet and Internet applications.
The study programme is open to students from other higher education institutions who wish to continue a specialist study programme. Such students can transfer their ECTS after their application is reviewed. The recognition of ECTS is based on comparison between the syllabuses of the student’s study programme and the curriculum at the University of Applied Sciences Velika Gorica. Depending on the number of recognized ECTS, the students can be exempted from paying a proportional part of the tuition fee.
Student qualifications (acquiring knowledge and skills)
Upon graduating, the student should have the following general knowledge and skills:
- Capability to identify, define, and solve engineering problems;
- Techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary in professional life;
- Knowledge about the connection between engineering activities, design, production, marketing and the users’ demands for products and services;
- Participation in team-driven development of large and complex computer applications;
- Adaptation of decision making methods in the phases of planning, developing and delivering projects based on the use of information technologies, and documenting conclusions on advantages and drawbacks of certain solutions within one’s own technical and seminar papers, and the diploma thesis.
The graduate student should have the following professional knowledge and skills:
- Programming in modern structured, procedural and object programming language;
- Understanding of principles, development and maintenance of databases;
- Understanding of infrastructure and architecture of information systems;
- Use of standard algorithms and data structures in programming;
- Analyses and planning of information systems to preserve the business continuity;
- Applications of the authorisation and authentication system in the development and use of IS;
- Supervision of information system and data security (protection against unauthorized access, backup planning);
- Understanding of the system for preserving business continuity (Disaster recovery);
- Understanding of operation principles and usage of networked distributed databases;
- Use of modern programming tools for programming;
- Development of user-friendly computer applications and their customization;
- Basic administrations of the best-known DBMS systems (MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle);
- Development of programming applications using JAVA;
- Modelling and managing processes in information systems;
- Planning and introduction of information systems for decision-making support;
- Management of complex projects and project teams.
Additional knowledge and skills that can be acquired through elective subjects:
- Developing programming solutions in advanced technological environment (PHP, ASP, DotNET);
- Understanding of the operation in GIS;
- Independent development of complex web applications;
- Planning and introduction of electronic business in company;
- Introduction in research methodology;
- Modelling of ergonomic graphical interface of applications;
- Management and usage of database management systems;
- Understanding the influence of information systems characteristics on performances;
- Use of unconventional computer procedures such as genetic algorithms, neural networks and fuzzy systems to solve practical problems;
- Development of mobile applications;
- Understanding the functioning and use of information systems in small and large organizations;
- Development of Java web applications using programme frameworks.
|LO label||Learning outcomes description|
|IS1||Present engineering methods and principles in the design of information systems and program support|
|IS2||Explain the operating principles of information systems|
|IS3||Present the use of information systems|
|IS4||Propose solutions to engineering problems in the profession|
|IS5||Use the functionalities of contemporary engineering tools|
|IS6||Develop software applications by using contemporary structural, procedural and object programming languages|
|IS7||Develop software applications by using contemporary structural, procedural and object programming languages|
|IS8||Propose improvements in data security and system security|
|IS9||Analyze the influence of the IS characteristic on its performance and security|
|IS10||Explain opinions, solutions, and suggestions in team work|
|IS11||Present one’s own or team work|
|IS12||Koristiti stručnu literaturu i pretraživanje dostupnih baza informacija i baza znanja|
By successfully completing the specialist graduate professional study programme Information Systems the students will acquire additional 120 ECTS credits and the title of professional specialist engineer of information technology with a total of 300 ECTS which will enable them to continue their study in Croatia or abroad, according to the law.