Specialist graduate professional programme: Information systems
Director of study: not appointed yet
Professional title: Professional Specialist Engineer of Information Technology
Number of total ECTS credits: 240 (180+60) ECTS
Type of study: full-time and part-time study
Duration of study: one (1) year, i.e. two (2) semesters
Number of available places: 30 full-time and 30 part-time students
The programme is primarily intended for persons whose activities are related to program engineering and information systems in a wider sense, but also for persons who meet the general and special enrolment requirements for this study programme and whose aim is to professionally perform jobs of designing, development and maintenance of information systems..
The programme “Information Systems” has been founded on specialist knowledge and competences that guarantee success in performing the jobs related to construction, optimization, exploitation and maintenance of information systems in a wide range of applications, as well as acquiring the starting knowledge in order to continue the improvement in the field of information system design. Consequently, this specialist programme is intended for persons who have been or will be responsible for the implementation, maintenance and exploitation of the information systems, and who will participate in design and production of information systems.
- in higher mathematics (matrix calculation, numerical solving of mathematical problems, and fundamentals of theory of probability and statistics);
- in computation (architecture of digital computers, operation systems, computer networks, fundamentals of programming, data algorithms and structures, databases, fundamentals of information security and basics of design and development of information systems and applications),
and acquired competences, such as:
- advanced usage of computers, office and graphical applications;
- excellent usage of the Internet and Internet applications.
The programme is completely open to enrolment of students from other higher education institutions who wish to continue a started specialist study programme. For every such student an adequate decision is brought regarding the recognition of ECTS credits for those courses that are accepted as completed and passed at other higher education institutions. The recognition of ECTS credits is based on the level of compatibility of the curriculum of the higher education institution from which the student has come with the curriculum at the University of Applied Sciences Velika Gorica. Depending on the number of recognized ECTS credits, the student’s tuition is reduced for the appropriate amount.
The qualification for performance of activities (acquiring knowledge and competences)
A: The graduated candidate should have the following general knowledge and competences:
- competence of identifying, defining and solving engineering problems;
- usage of techniques, skills and advanced engineering tools necessary for the practice;
- awareness of the relation between the engineering activities, design, production, marketing and the users’ needs for products and services.
- participation in team development of big and complex computer applications.
B. The graduated candidate should have the following professional knowledge and competences:
- programming in modern structured, procedural and object programming language;
- understanding the principles, development and maintenance of databases;
- use of standard algorithms and structures of data in programming;
- analyses and planning of information systems for retaining the continuity of operation;
- applications of the systems of authorisation and authentication in the IS development and usage;
- control of security of information system and data (prevention against unauthorized access, planning of making back-up copies);
- understanding of the systems for retaining the continuity of operation (Disaster recovery);
- understanding of the principle of work and usage of networked distributed databases;
- use of advanced programming tools;
- developing of user-friendly computer applications and their adaptation to the users;
- basic administrations of the best known DBMS systems (MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle);
- development of programming applications using JAVA.
C. Additional knowledge and competences that can be acquired through elective courses:
- development of programming solutions in the advanced technological environment (PHP, ASP, DotNET);
- understanding of GIS operation;
- independent development of complex web applications;
- planning and introduction of electronic operation in companies;
- management of complex projects and project teams;
- planning and introduction of information systems as decision support.
By successfully completing the specialist graduate professional programme Information Systems, the students acquire 60 ECTS credits and acquire the diploma of professional specialist engineer of information technology, with a total of 240 ECTS which makes it possible for them to continue the studies in Croatia or abroad, in compliance with the law.
||Programming in JAVA language
|Databases in Internet environment
||Database management systems
|Authorization and authenticationa
||Retention of data and continuity of operation
||Object programming applicationa
|Advanced WEB programming
||Geographic information systems
||Decision support systems